It isn't easy to lead cultural change, wherever you sit within the organisation. It can be even harder when you lead a disability network / resource Group. You are very often the first to notice the 'hot spots' for disabled employees but won't always be in a position of authority to determine an organisation diversity objectives. Which is why it is important to reflect on both the opportunities, and constraints, that come with leading a network / resource group - and how you can bring your best self to the leadership role.
This month we will look at great leadership and learn from others about their style and how they adapt their ways of working to get the best from others.
- Share insights about the leadership qualities required to drive meaningful change on disability inclusion
- Explore ways you can lead on a subject which people find it hard to follow / shun
- Offer fresh ideas about how you can push open doors that seem locked and bolted
- Offer you the opportunity to engage with PurpleSpace Ambassadors and fellow members
What can you look forward to this month?
Andy Garrett, Founding Ambassador will kick off the month for us with a welcome in the Member Zone - and pose the big question, "How do we lead from the Edge?"
On 26th February we host the first of our new Networking sessions this one a small evening reception entitled "Leading with Purpose" - guest speaker John Turner, Chair of the Access disability network at Lloyds Banking Group, and others will share the highs and lows of leading change and you will have the chance to debate the topic and network with fellow members leading disability networks.
We also launch two new briefings "9 Top Tips in Disability Leadership", a new resource written by Kate Nash about how to learn from the best "change" leaders as well as "Working to purpose: how to align your network / resource group to business objectives" by Sally Ward.
This month's Spotlight On member interview by writer Jim Pollard is with John Turner, Chair of the Access Network, Lloyds Banking Group.
To round the month up we invite you to drop into the Member Zone between 16:00 - 17:00 on Monday 25th February for our MZChat - get yourself a cup of tea and join in the conversation led by Andy Garrett, Ambassador, about what you have learnt about this topic and offer your own top tips to other members.
The five questions for discussion are:
- What are the key skills required to lead a high-performing network / resource group?
- What is your one self-limiting behaviour that gets in the way of your role as leader?
- As you look at the leadership styles of others, what can you learn from them that you could usefully apply?
- How successful can we be when we 'lead from the edge' in a voluntary role?
- What one thing might you chose to do differently as you get into the year ahead?
And don't forget if you are new to the world of PurpleSpace and Networkology, come and join our Purple Pointer webinar on 12th February - Jo Hussey, Membership Engagement and Events Manager and PurpleSpace Ambassador, David Caldwell, Barclays, will describe all the membership offerings that you can tap into.