We hear a lot about the concept of 'intersectionality'. It is the term used to explain the theory that the overlap of various social identities, such as race, gender, sexuality, disability, class, faith etc, contribute to the specific type of systemic oppression and discrimination experienced by an individual. And as such people's identities cannot be examined separately from one another.
But what has this got to do with heading up an employee network / resource group? And is it necessary to take account of our multiple identities when wanting to build disability confidence?
In July we will take a look at the opportunities that different networks / resource groups have for collaboration - and how some organisations are making it easier for networks / resource groups to work together and the positive practical outputs that follow as a result.
- Explore the importance of internal networks / resource groups working together
- Share some good examples of how networks / resource groups are working with their other internal networks / resource groups
- Offer some examples of core topics that work well without you losing sight of your core audience
- Offer you the opportunity to engage with PurpleSpace Ambassadors and fellow members
What can you look forward to this month?
One of our Ambassadors will kick off the month for us with a welcome in the Member Zone - and pose the big question, "How do we build genuine partnerships with other in-house networks / resource groups without going off at tangents?"
During the month you will have the opportunity to take part in a webinar 'Our Multiple Identities at Work' where we will hear some best practice examples from among our members.
We also launch a new resource 'Network / resource group harmony' where we take a look at three case-studies of how our members are working with other networks / resource groups and their top tips on how to get it right.
This month's external resource review will focus on intersectionality and PurpleSpace Consultant Sally Ward will offer a must-read that covers the topic in a practical way, without being too academic!
And as usual we will have our monthly Spotlight On member interview by our writer Jim Pollard - get in touch if you are a member and helping your organisation to build collaboration projects across networks / resource groups.
To round the month up we invite you to drop into the Member Zone between 16:00 - 17:00 on Monday 29th July for our MZChat - get yourself a cup of tea and join in the discussion convened by one of our Ambassadors, to share learning and offer your own top tips to other members.
The four questions for discussion are:
- What are the ways in which networks / resource groups can work with each other?
- Where is the good practice from the PurpleSpace community?
- What outcomes can result in working together?
- What would you like to achieve by working with other in-house networks / resource groups?
And don't forget if you need a bit of one-to-one support on the topic book yourself a Power Hour session with senior consultant Sarah Simcoe on 22nd July 2019.