Around one in five of adults have a disability of some kind. And the questions businesses are beginning to ask themselves are:
- Can we afford to miss out on the custom of over 13 million people in the UK who - together with their families - have an estimated spending power of around £250 billion?
- How do we find ways to ensure that our board members look at issues from a different, impartial perspective and scrutinise performance dispassionately?
- What is the internal evidence we need to examine that tells us that promoting inclusion is not an optional activity but it makes great business sense for us?
This means there is more and more emphasis being placed on the need for organisations to tackle disability inclusion systemically, and systematically. And that can often only happen when a network / resource group works closely with a senior champion as well as finding ways to build a broad network of allies across the organisation.
During the month of June we look at the unique role that network leaders have to seed and feed their senior champion with the information they need to spot and surface the trends. And we help members to think about the options available to build allies across the organisation.
- Shine a light on good practice between a network / resource group and the senior sponsor / champion
- Help members to socialise the new PurpleSpace champion / senior sponsor competency framework
- Help members think about how to get more support from their senior sponsor / champion
- Offer you the opportunity to engage with PurpleSpace Ambassadors and fellow members
What can you look forward to this month?
We will kick off the month with an Ambassador welcome in the Member Zone - and pose the big question, "How does a Champion / Senior Sponsor help an organisation go from "good" to "great" when it comes to disability inclusion?"
We will launch the new edition of our Purple Champions & Allies Guide as well as Senior Disability Vanguard, a new Competency Framework for champions / senior sponsors through the lens of network / resource group leaders.
And towards the end of the month we will convene another networking reception event in London where we bring together three senior champions to offer up tips to network leaders in how to attract their interest and keep them informed.
To round the month up we invite you to drop into the Member Zone between 16:00 - 17:00 on Monday 24th June for our MZChat - get yourself a cup of tea and join in the discussion led by one of our Ambassadors, to share learning and offer your own top tips to other members.
The five questions for discussion are:
- What makes a great Champion / Senior Sponsor?
- How can you position your Champion / Senior Sponsor as a key 'customer' in the work you do?
- What do you need to do differently or better to maintain their interest and enthusiasm?
- How can you 'speak truth to power' within the limitations of your role?
- Which of the resources have you found most valuable this month and why?