Many network / resource group leaders work with a variety of 'volunteers' who are supporting the delivery of a high-performing network. And these volunteers will often work on different sites as well as different cities, geographies and time-zones. In addition, network / resource group leaders will sometimes be in conversations with members who need a bit of one-to-one support to secure the workplace adjustments they may need. That often means a network leader has to draw on their coaching skills but it's important to know when it is appropriate to do so, when you need to refer and when to draw a line in the sand.
- Explore how the network / resource group leader sometimes has to act as a coach
- Help you understand what basic coaching principles are
- Encourage you to find ways to delegate work to others
- Offer you the opportunity to engage with PurpleSpace Ambassadors and fellow members
What can you look forward to this month?
One of our Ambassadors will kick off the month for us with a welcome in the Member Zone - and pose the big question, "When do we coach, when do we refer and when do we draw a line in the sand?"
During the month you will have the opportunity to listen to a new Podcast "The 9 basic elements of coaching", an interview with a trained coach who will describe the basics involved in coaching. The podcast will offer you a whistle-stop tour of the things to get right when you help your volunteers to work with you, or how to support members to ask for the workplace adjustments they may need.
We also launch a new resource "Coaching: the basics" where we cover the principles offered in the podcast.
This month's external resource review will focus on the art of coaching and Sally Ward will offer us a must-read that covers the topic in a simple way, without you having to go off and learn new skills.
And as usual we will have our monthly Spotlight On member interview by our writer Jim Pollard - get in touch if you use coaching skills in your role as network / resource group leader and the things you have learnt in your role.
To round the month up we invite you to drop into the Member Zone between 16:00 - 17:00 on Monday 30th September 2019 for our MZChat - get yourself a cup of tea and join in the discussion convened by one of our Ambassadors, to share learning and offer your own top tips to other members.
The five questions for discussion are:
- Where are the key areas where you provide coaching to others?
- What are the pros and cons, and where are the pitfalls?
- What tips would you pass to others who have just taken up the role as a network / resource group leader?
- What one thing would you like to change most about your own coaching style?
- Which of the resources have you found most valuable this month and why?
If you need a bit of one-to-one support on this topic and when to coach, and when not to coach, book yourself a Power Hour session with Kate Nash on 26th September 2019.
And don't forget if you are new to the world of PurpleSpace and Networkology, come and join our Purple Pointer webinar on 19th September 2019 - Jo Hussey, Membership Engagement and Events Manager and Tulsi Patel, PurpleSpace Ambassador describe all the membership offerings that you can tap into.